On this page you will find information to support your child in planning their future.
Support in school
Throughout their school career the young people in Northfield Academy focus on building skills which they need to be successful in life, learning and work. Choosing a career which suits their skills and interests is a daunting prospect and we work very hard to ensure they have the information they need to make positive informed choices. The aim of Northfield is to empower your child with the confidence and knowledge to make their own decisions and take ownership of their own decisions.
This is achieved through:
- A comprehensive, skills based curriculum which promotes employability.
- One to one meetings with Guidance Teachers.
- One to one meetings with a dedicated Northfield careers advisor.
- The possibility of tailored work experience.
- A wide range of opportunities both in school and out, delivered by partners such as local businesses and further and higher education providers.
Possible Future Destinations
The biggest provider for further education in Aberdeen City is NESCOL. NESCOL provide a wide range of courses from SCQF Level 4 to Level 8. These include introductory courses up to HNDs. Entry requirements differ depending on the level of course applied for. For more details go to NESCOL’s website here.
To study a subject at a higher level and gain a degree your child can choose to study at University. The two local universities are Aberdeen University and Robert Gordons University and there are many more across Scotland.
Apprenticeships mix training and working so young people can earn money while they learn. There are two levels of apprenticeship Modern and Graduate. For more information on apprenticeships click here.
Recently it has been more difficult to leave an go straight into a job but if a young person has a guaranteed job offer they can go straight into employment.
Skills Development Scotland (SDS)
SDS are a Scotland wide organisation who will advise and support your child to enter into a positive sustained destination. Northfield have 2 dedicated Careers Advisers and a Work Coach who work with young people in Northfield from S1 to S6 and beyond. This support is provided through PSE (for example making subject choices), through targeted one to one work and through dedicated workshops.
If you would like to speak directly to the career adviser about how to support your child, the contact details are:
Natasha Finlay – Careers Advisor/Work Coach Rebecca LaidLAw – Careers Advisor
Skype: 0300 013 2245 Skype: 0141 468 7711
Mobile(TExt Or call) : 07833 402 561 Mobile (text or call): 07584 154 547
E-mail: email@example.com E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To further support your child in thinking about the future we encourage parents to have an active role in the choices their child makes.
- Discuss possible jobs and career paths with them.
- During subject choice time discuss the possible course choices with your child. To support you in this Northfield Academy have yearly information evenings where you can ask any questions you might have. Dates are included in the school calendar.
- Encourage your child to take advantage of any opportunities that arise which could include University Open Days or taking part in targeted work experience.
If you would like any more information on how to support your child Skills Development Scotland(SDS) has an information site for parents and carers, please click here.